08 February 2009

Tech Generation Gap and Quality of Embedded Material (Library Media Class: Session 3, Additional Readings)

1. The Shifted Librarian: Dispatch From the GenX Bridge
Once I finally got through this whole article, I appreciate what she was saying. Yes, I often feel in need of someone to explain online communication to me. My daughter (19 years old) assumes that I have more background and understanding than I have; this makes it difficult for her to help me and for me to explain to her what help I need. My son (26 years old) is better at helping with questions relating to online experience because he has a bit of a clue of what the world was like when we communicated with letters and corded phones. He can anticipate some of the questions I might have because he is more aware of the distance traveled (the technological advances which occurred too quickly for me to keep up with them) since the home computer.
The problem with the article, for me, is that the Shifted Librarian assumed some knowledge on my part that I didn't have. Before I could understand the article, I had to figure out what Twitter, FriendFeed, FF, and MPOW were and to discover who Jason Griffey is and why I care about whatever his problem was!

2. The pianolibrarian's youtube video "Library Dragon"
This video is a perfect (bad) example of a couple of the points I discussed under Discussion Question 2 in my "Week 3, Session 2" blog entry. The activity (the puppet show) was probably fun and enjoyable at the time it took place; the children seem engaged and we can hear them laughing. But the video's quality is exceedingly poor. For Heaven's sake, why didn't they use a tripod? The audience scans are particularly horrible...unless the viewer actually enjoys getting seasick. The audio quality is just as bad; microphones are available, people! The mouse-puppet's voice is unintelligible because of the screechy tone, the dragon-puppet's voice is often at too low a volume to hear. The voice of the person holding the camera is the only one that is consistently understandable and his comments are just distracting! The video is much too long at seven minutes...I suffered through about four or five minutes before I gave up. The paper cup and plate under the chair near the "stage" were another annoyance to me...it made the whole thing look slipshod and completely unprofessional. Now, to be fair, I'm sure this video was not posted for the general public--people like me. Possibly it is on youtube.com because the puppeteer wanted her grandma to be able to see her performance. Let's hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment